This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links means that sometimes if you click through to a website and register or purchase something, I may get a commission from that sale at no extra cost to you. For more information click here.
It’s no secret that snacks play a major role in our day-to-day lives. We rely on them to get us through long days at work, help us power through workouts, regulate our hunger signals, and give us the energy we need to make it through the night. But not all snacks are created equal. If you’re looking for something that will give you sustained energy and help you nourish yourself well, creating balanced snacks can be helpful. In this blog post, I’ll teach you how to do just that – plus I’ll provide 15 delicious recipes for inspiration!
How to build easy balanced snacks
Creating balanced snacks is all about finding the right combination of fats, protein, and complex carbohydrates. This combination will give you sustained energy and help keep you feeling full until your next meal. When you’re creating balanced snacks, aim for a ratio of 30% fats, 30% protein, and 40% complex carbs. Here are some easy ways to achieve this:
– Pair a handful of nuts or seeds with fruit or veggie slices for a balanced snack that’s high in healthy fats and complex carbs.
– Spread peanut butter or almond butter on whole grain toast for a balanced snack that’s high in protein and complex carbs.
– Make a DIY trail mix with your favorite nuts, seeds, and dried fruit for a balanced snack that’s high in healthy fats and complex carbs.
– Pair yogurt with fresh fruit or granola for a balanced snack that’s high in protein and complex carbs.
Now that you know how to create balanced snacks, here are 15 delicious balanced snack ideas to get you started!
Balanced snacks ideas
1. Roasted Chickpeas: A quick and easy snack that is both healthy and delicious is roasted chickpeas. Chickpeas are an excellent source of protein and fiber, and can be easily roasted in the oven with just a few simple ingredients.
All you need is a can of chickpeas, some olive oil, your favorite seasonings, and a little time. Simply drain and rinse the chickpeas, toss them with the olive oil and seasonings, and bake in a preheated oven (350 F) for 20-30 minutes. Once they’re crispy and golden, they’re ready to enjoy! Store them in an airtight container for a healthy, ready-to-eat snack. Combine with cut up veggies for a balanced snack.
2. Baked Fruit: If you’re looking for something a little sweeter, baked fruit is a great option. Fruits like apples and bananas are naturally sweet and get even sweeter when roasted. You can roast them in the oven (425 F) with a little olive oil and your favorite spices (like cinnamon or cloves).
Or, if you’re feeling adventurous, you can try roasting them on the stovetop in a cast iron skillet. Just make sure to keep an eye on them so they don’t burn! Store them in an airtight container for a healthy, ready-to-eat snack. Use as a topping for Greek yogurt for balance and satisfaction.
3. Homemade Granola Bars: Combine oats, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, and honey in a bowl and press into a baking dish. Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 20 minutes, then let cool before cutting into bars.
4. Chocolate Avocado Pudding: Combine ripe avocados, cocoa powder, honey, and milk (cow or plant-based) in a blender and blend until smooth. Serve cold.
5. Cucumber and Hummus Toasts: One of my favorite balanced snacks to make is cucumber and hummus toasts ( my kids love when I make them into teddy bear faces as above with black olives). Simply place cucumber slices on top of a slice of whole wheat toast spread with your favorite hummus. Serve immediately.
6. Celery With Cream Cheese Sticks: Spread cream cheese over celery sticks and enjoy! You can also add some chopped herbs or a little salt and pepper for more flavor. Sprinkle with nuts or seeds for added crunch and a well balanced snack.
7. Greek Yogurt and Papaya Parfaits: Place diced fresh papaya in a serving cup. Pour Greek yogurt (any flavor) over the papaya, repeating the layers.
8. Tuna and Cracker Bites: Tuna and crackers is one of the easiest balanced snacks with few ingredients. The tuna is a great source of protein, and the crackers provide some healthy carbs. This snack will help you feel full and satisfied until your next meal.
To make this snack, simply combine canned tuna with your favorite crackers. Add a little mayonnaise if you like, or use pre-seasoned tuna pouches.
9. Apples with Peanut Butter: Another one of my favorite healthy well balanced snacks is apples and peanut butter. This snack is not only delicious, but it’s also packed with nutrients. Apples provide fiber and vitamins, while peanut butter gives you protein and healthy fats. Plus, this snack is easy to make: just slice up an apple and spread on some peanut butter.
10. Guacamole and Tortilla Chips: If you’re looking for carb protein fat balanced snacks, look no further than guacamole and tortilla chips. This easy snack is packed with protein, fiber, and healthy fats, making it the perfect option to help keep you energized throughout the day. Plus, it’s easy to make at home with just a few simple ingredients. All you need is some ripe avocados, diced tomatoes, fresh lemon juice, and sea salt. Simply mash the avocados and mix them with the other ingredients. Then enjoy with your favorite chips or crackers. Yum!
11. Fruit and Vegetable Smoothie: If you’re looking for a balanced snack that’s also healthy, try a fruit and vegetable smoothie. Simply combine your favorite fruits and vegetables in a blender with a little water or milk, and blend until smooth.
You can add a little honey or protein powder to make it even more nutritious. If you are using frozen fruits and vegetables, there is no need to add ice. And other than that, no additional prep work is required! Simply blend and enjoy. Click here for my favorite smoothie recipe.
12. Turkey Roll Ups: Turkey roll ups are a great option for a satisfying snack. All you need is some turkey slices, cheese, and your favorite condiments. Simply roll the turkey and cheese into a wrap or tortilla, and enjoy! You can even get creative with your seasonings and add some greens for extra nutrition.
13. Cottage Cheese and Fruit: Cottage cheese is a great source of protein and can easily be made into a balanced snack. All you need is a cup of cottage cheese, some chopped fruit or vegetables, and a bit of seasoning. Just mix the cottage cheese with the ingredients you want and enjoy! You can also try using cottage cheese as a dip for crackers or vegetables.
14. Avocado Toast: For a snack that’s both healthy and delicious, avocado toast is a great option. Avocado toast is simply whole wheat bread topped with mashed avocado, and can be easily customized to your liking. You can add ingredients like tomatoes, onions, cheese, or even an egg. And the best part is that it only takes a few minutes to make!
To make avocado toast, start by spreading mashed avocado on whole-grain toast. Then add any additional ingredients of your choice.
15. Homemade Trail Mix: One of the best well balanced snacks is homemade trail mix. This snack is packed with protein, healthy fats, and fiber, and it’s easy to make ahead of time so you can grab and go. To make this trail mix, simply combine your favorite nuts and seeds with some dried fruit and some sea salt.
So there you have it! Tips for creating balanced snacks as well as 15 delicious recipes to get you started. What are you waiting for? Get snacking!
Hi! I’m Melissa, Registered Dietitian and mother of two dragons. When I’m not talking nutrition you can find me rolling around the floor with my kids, sewing, crafting, cooking or missing the 90s (seriously, music just isn’t the same). Read More…